Monthly Padlet – “Hypothetical”

Having come to ANU through the Interactive Learning Project (iLEAP) it makes sense that I’d be interested in adding some dynamics to CLT’s newsletter and blog. Without too much chin-scratching, one solution came to mind fairly easily and I’m keen to give it a try.  

No doubt you’re familiar with Padlet and have encountered it serving various functions in a myriad of forms.  

ANU has its own collection including a recent example hosted by Rachael Brown: Experiences of Teaching Philosophy Online: What worked for you? What didn’t? In Rachael’s example, she has created a wall that invites new ideas to do with remote teaching in subjects with large amounts of discussion-based content. The discussion is ongoing and contributions reflect a vast range of discipline-based interests at ANU. Rachael’s Padlet wall is built to share practical tips that have been tried and tested in our local community. 

For my purposes, I’m thinking a little differently.  

Over the past few years I’ve been on, or responded to, a number of selection panels. The standard open-ended questions fill-out the bulk of time. But inevitably, there will be a scenario-based question that requires some response to a hypothetical workplace conundrum. The applicants’ task is to think creatively and be a little gymnastic in the way they resolve the fictitious but plausible problem. 

And so to my proposition.  

Each month there will be a new Padlet wall linked to the Newsletter. The invitation to engage will be via a hypothetical teaching and learning scenario. In response, as you would at interview, don’t spend too much time capturing, framing and polishing your thoughts. It would be good to keep the wall fresh and lively with feedback to postings being kept courteous, constructive and actionable. 

With all credit to my search engine, I found a useful site dedicated to the world of conversation starters.   

Hypothetical for this month is:

“The Hypothetical for July – an educated animal gives you sage advice on surviving challenging times. What was the animal? What was its take-home message?” 

Now, it’s over to you for your comments: Access the Padlet

July 2020

Tim Grace is the Manager of the Education Communities and Environments (ECE) team – one of the three teams within the ANU Centre for Learning & Teaching (CLT)